Saturday, April 9, 2011

Patchwork Squared Modern Solids Quilt Along

I've really been wanting to ge more "community" in my quilting, so I decided to join the P2 Solids quilt along, and here's my first block!


P2 QAL - Block 1
P² Block 1 - Broken Rainbows

The schedule is 1-2 blocks per week, so it'll move right along, and it's also supposed to be teaching some basic skills, which I definitely need. I've gotten a little tired of paper-piecing–it's starting to feel a little like a crutch.

The first week's assignment was to pick your own block. I've liked this one for a while, although this is the first time I've sewn it. One advantage to stuffing your brain full of quilt-related information is that every once in a while, said brain will make a connection. Mine was that Anita Grossman Solomon's "simpler" cutting directions for No-Waste Windmills would also work for Broken Rainbows, especially when we're working with solids, so there's no need to worry about right side of the fabric. I followed her directions, and the sucker sewed right up (only 2 seams ripped, which is pretty good for a new block, I think.)

Anyone else doing the P² Quilt Along?

No comments:

Post a Comment